A Moment in Thyme

Take your Serians here to chat or just roam their homeland.
The sun glitters above vast fields ringed by verdant forests to the north, mountains to the south and east, and wide rivers to the west.

Moderator: Tigress

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Re: A Moment in Thyme

Post by Songhue »

He wondered, briefly, if he could have done something to have sparked those very insecurities. Other than accepting their mutual solitude, however - there was nothing. He had even introduced her to the others of his circle, with the exception of Caelum's mate. And the only reason Nymph - no, SylvanSprite - hadn't met Tundra was because that particular mare had chosen to retire her days of travels. It was possible to visit one another's home in their own realm, and to meet here in Sionayra - and there were some who even managed another realm or two, such as the lands of Caelum's young and their bondmates. In general, however, they did not travel the textures of reality. Going to Tundra was simply not possible. Hers was not a land that invited them.

They had all even made a special journey to bring her some of that sweet gummy grass, and another was planned (due to the insistence of AuraSidra) to share with her the fluffy bits of cloud used to make the treat. Once they felt accustomed to all the changes, that was. There were new rules, and less boundaries within the lands; the Wilds were no longer held at bay, nor the creatures within. Travel for treats would be put on hold until they better understood these changes.

Of course I love you, he smiled, my very heart beats within you. He couldn't stop touching her, being close with her in every way he could, and lipped fondly at her mane as she refused to let him shoulder the world on his own - and she had quickly become his world, this delicate mare. But there was a sadness in his eyes, a look he tried to keep hidden with his attentions. He could feel the bonds that tied him, and surely enough he could feel those that ensnared her. He adored his best friends, his brothers in spirit if not blood, and had happily tied his path to their own. It only seemed right, with all the time they spent together. If he had perhaps met her first... But fate had not allowed for the chance.

And she, this beautiful creature that made him feel at home just by looking at him, she was tied to others.

It didn't keep him from loving her. And there was no room for such what-ifs and sadness within that love, so by the time he moved around and reached to give one of her horns a playful tug of his teeth there was only tenderness in his expression. He loved her, regardless of their circumstances, and would enjoy any moment he could glean.

Sylvansprite, is it? It suits you, my dearest. Is it always Silvansprite, then, as a young filly I know insists upon her full name at all times, or is there a nickname in there somewhere? Sylph, perhaps? Sprite? Sylvan is always a possibility, or Sylvie. It mattered only her own preference, but he rather enjoyed the thought of calling this delicate little thing his Sylph. AuraSidra, the filly in question, simply thought that her name in partial sounded rather ridiculous. She also thought it disrespected one of her parents, as each half of her name was an honorific to her heritage. And if this most cherished mare had chosen that which best identified her, well then certainly she had every right to insist upon the proper name. After all, she could have chosen anything.

What a fun thing to do, and so strong of her to declare herself through her name. This is who I am. Oh, she made him proud. He could hardly wait to tell Caelum and BlackIce; they would gush for days that such a slight and gentle heart could be so bold.

Talia
Elder
Elder

Post by Talia »

His reassurance meant more than words could say, so she opted to stay silent for that very reason, and poured her emotion into her eyes and actions to show him how much she cared. She had always been plagued by her own insecurities, and had never quite felt like enough. No one action had ever made her feel that way, she just naturally doubted her own self-worth. It was one of her failings that she knew she would have to work on, as she was sure that anyone of any significance in her life wouldn't want to spend the rest of time reassuring her rather than enjoying her company.

She thought she caught the briefest glimpse of something else in Thyme's expression, but whatever it had been, it had been fleeting. She basked in his attentions and words, all the while trying to ignore this niggling reminder that it wouldn't last.

She danced away from him playfully when he tugged on her antler, and flicked his flank with her tail. She was grinning now, but she couldn't hide all of the concern in her eyes, even behind the genuine happiness of her smile. She and Thyme had always managed to find one another again, but was this how it was fated to be? Random encounters at most with the stallion she so desperately loved? And if so, how long would it last, or were they fated to always be at a distance? She didn't think her heart could handle it, but she didn't doubt that they would both put forth a valiant effort.

He was always so genuine and so sincere with her that it came as no surprise that he supported her change in name. She rested against him, flank to flank, as she considered, her expression thoughtful.

You are too kind, my love. I'm glad you approve. Sylvansprite, as much as its fitting, is a mouthful. I've been going by Sprite with the youngest of the herd, just for simplicity's sake. I really do prefer Sylph, now that you mention it however. It's a fitting short form.

Being around him made her brave, and perhaps bold enough to say the things she feared most. His demeanor almost always set her at ease; he had built her up, and instilled enough confidence in her that she had begun to thrive. How could she have doubted him? But while she was confident in them, here and now, how would this play out in the future? She stilled a moment, and both worry and something akin to pain stole the joy from her eyes.

Where do we go from here? Though this is as real to me now as it ever was, how do we carve a place for each other in our lives? I feel... torn. Torn between my bond, my herd and you, my heart. She mustered a small smile and shook her head dismissively. I'm so sorry Thyme. My head's run away with me, and I'm ruining the mere minutes we've had with one another.

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

If Sprite is already established, then I will happily call you my little Woodland Sprite, he smiled, and laughed as she swung her tail at him, prancing closer once she moved back to his side. There was joy in her smile, but she didn't quite meet his eyes... And before he could ask, she was offering him her concerns, making his heart swell with the trust she must have to so easily share what worried her.

Please, my sweet love, don't apologize, he said gently, reaching over to snuggle under her chin, lifting her as he hoped his words might lift her heart. There is never a moment with you that could be spoiled. You have to be able to speak of your concerns, just as any strong couple will tell you.

It couldn't be only laughter and gentleness, he knew. He was proud of her for speaking up, for being the one to address what had so briefly touched upon his own heart. Prouder still that she felt the ability to do so with him.

You're right, there is more to talk about than rather or not you're ticklish here he grinned, and reached down to lip at her belly, hoping for a laugh before scooping her against his chest. He wished he could shield her from such problems, from what he knew he had to say, and yet he knew he couldn't.

And yet I have no easy answers for you. It has to be your decision. This much I can say; I can't imagine any other for me besides you. And yet, I can't forsake the ties to my circle. It's- he faltered, trying to find a way to help her see what he did. Shaking his head, he could only say We meet every quarter moon at BlackIce's territory to hear his stories. He's left his days of wild wanderings behind him, but that doesn't mean that he has forgotten it all. They left shadows in his eyes, this last time - that happens, sometimes, he said, and his voice dropped with sympathy. It made him glad he remembered little about his time being abandoned. The hunger, the struggle not to become food, those were mundane concerns when pitted against betrayal and the infighting that could destroy someone who wanted to come back. Those stories, those memories, were always hardest on the old stallion.

Caelum knows how to chase away our shadows, though. This time he scooped me in his wing and started telling us about when his offspring were young, how he had to keep one of them tucked underwing for more than a day. It was Leaf Fall, he said, that needed his warmth. Coal had- he stopped and shook his head again, smiling at himself. He'd gotten distracted, begun to retell the tale. It was a good tale, and with a valuable lesson about bragging tucked into it, but not the point at the moment.

They are my brothers, he whispered, and hoped beyond hope that she could hear what he was trying so hard to say. The ties to his circle were not only strong, they were vibrant. Even if he'd wanted to break such bonds, he couldn't; and they would understand, these brothers of the heart, that was the worst of it. He simply... Couldn't. And yet, you're the only one for me. You hold my heart within you, it beats for your joy. I am no help for the troubles you can see, for the very choice that I cannot make must fall to you. I can promise, only, that I will hold you for as long as you'll let me.

He shifted, just slightly, brushed the tip of his muzzle down her neck, over her shoulders; barely touching, but still touching. He would hold her while she'd let him, and if it was the same for her - if her ties were too strong, if they could never join in any way other than this, then he would continue to hold her until she found another who would cherish her the way she deserves. If he made her happy, if he knew what a rare and beautiful blossom she was, he would watch another hold the one who had his heart and be glad for it, through the pain.

He couldn't make such a decision for her. Even had she been willing to let him, he wouldn't. It was unheard of, what they were doing even now. These precious, stolen moments; no, he knew the concerns she spoke of, and simply didn't care. He cared only for her.

Talia
Elder
Elder

Post by Talia »

She warmed at the thought of him fondly calling her Sprite. There was something so right about him so easily embracing her new self, but that was just Thyme. He had always been accepting and supportive, and loved her fully without complaint, despite her faults. She blushed prettily and turned her cheek, hiding behind the wave of her mane.

Once again, she started at his easy acknowledgment of her fears. Her heart filled nearly to bursting with love for the stallion before her. Never had anyone wholly understood her. Thyme seemed to be able to see her to her very core, and always knew exactly what to say to ease her troubles. She touched her nose to his and beamed at him, unable to contain her happiness.

I have no idea why I worry so much about talking to you of such things, she said with a small laugh. Once again, you're correct, as always.

She giggled at his barrage of tickles and danced away from his side once more before she was swept in again and pressed to him. She rested her ear to his chest, taking comfort in his steady heartbeat and the warmth of his body. He was so steadfast and reliable. Just knowing that they could have many more moments such as this made her unspeakably content.

When he grew serious, she drew away from him slightly, not out of fear but simply to read his expression. Her eyes searched his, but she wasn't the least bit distressed. She could sense his unease however, and the pain in his expression was more than apparent. She wanted nothing more than to console him and chase the doubts from his eyes. She smiled gently as he began to tell her of Caelum and his offspring, and felt her heart leap into her throat when he seemed so agonized. She hushed him quietly and rubbed her nose against his cheek, nuzzling happily into him while speaking softly in response.

The connections with my circle-mates seem like a distant memory now. That was a lifetime ago, before I found myself, before Talia found me. I was a different Serian then, neither Sylvansprite nor Nymph. They should mean something to me, but it has been too long. She paused, and sadness clouded her features for a brief moment. Your circle is truly your family, as it should be. I cannot say the same for mine. Much as I dislike severing the bonds, the bonds were made with a different mare than the one that stands before you now. She too remembered all too well what it was like to feel abandoned. While her memories had never fully returned, the feeling of complete isolation and grief was hard to forget. She might not remember who she was forgetting, but she remembered the feeling of being bonded to another, and the sense of loss and despair she had felt when that bond had been discarded.

I could not ask you to forsake your brothers, your family, she continued. Nor would I. Your bonds are much stronger than mine. Yours is what I've been searching for. I would give much to feel like that again, and you've done so much already to show me all of what could someday be ours together. Is your circle so big that it might not include me? She thought she had met most of his circle mates, but perhaps she had not accounted for all of them? Maybe there was no place for her with them.

To her, the choice seemed so simple. Her ties to her circle were insignificant in comparison to her love for Thyme. I cannot imagine a life without you in it. My choice was made for me long ago, and I have no regrets. I'll be there, with you, if you'll only have me. I know it's uncommon, unprecedented, but I cannot, will not, be anywhere other than by your side.

His soft touches made her tremble, and the tremor chased along her coat as she sighed aloud in contentment. She leaned against him and closed her eyes, hoping beyond all hopes that he would accept her decision, that he wouldn't balk at her easy disconnect with her former circle.

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

She chose him; elated, stunned, he couldn't properly form a thought as she spoke of his circle having room enough for her, spoke of a need to be with him.

My sweet, gentle, beloved little Woodland Sprite, he murmured, unable to get himself to release her from the embrace that crushed her against his chest, tucked her under his neck. You would have me, have us? We're small, our group; the only other in our family is Caelum's mate, who has retreated deep into her home. We aren't exciting, but we would all come to your home each quarter moon, the three of us, bring treats and stories.

He took a deep breath, let it out slowly, and granted this shining gem of hope took the ultimate dive. Would you bind as my mate, join my circle, my love, if your own ties have faded so much?

Talia
Elder
Elder

Post by Talia »

((D'awwwwh...))

She pulled back, just enough so that she could see his expression, but not too far, never too far away from his solid and loving presence. She beamed at him happily, and she let her emotions fill her eyes so he could see how much he meant to her. She sighed a deep shuddering sigh, as if she had been holding her breath, waiting for the rug to be pulled out from underneath her.

You have no idea how much it means to hear you say that aloud, she whispered into his chest, having moved back into him to snuggle under the graceful curve of his neck. Of course I'll have you, all of you, and your family and circle by extension. They are as much of a part of you as anything. The thought of visits and stories, and sitting with loved ones makes me happy beyond measure. It will feel good to have those bonds again.

She had thought that nothing, in that moment, could have thrilled her more than his gentle endearments and invitation into his circle, but his next words made her heart leap, and tears well in her eyes.

I'd love nothing more than to be yours, to be your mate and join your circle.

She was so overjoyed, she could barely contain herself. She brushed her nose across him gently. Just being able to be this close to him, to touch him again, had been more than she had hoped for. Knowing that she was his, made her feel light and whole again.