Rule Enforcements

Any non-Serian (visitor) is welcome here! Mainly for the Serians' Bonded to get together and chat about random topics, but there really are no rules besides being courteous ^_^

Moderator: Tigress

Foxxfyre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rule Enforcements

Post by Foxxfyre »

No problem at all Songhue :) A lot of the first Serians had transparent backgrounds because they had that tick black border that made it look ok with most colors ^^ If you want them to all be consistent, I can either go in and change it to have a white bkg or you can put them on top of a white square so that it looks like they have a white bkg, whichever you prefer ^^ If you do choose to have the image have a white bkg then I'd prefer to do it on my end so that I don't ever think that the image was edited, since I have -the worst- memory sometimes :D
Sa souvreya niende misain ye... I am lost in my own mind.

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

Sure, if you'd rather go in and make certain you don't get confused later I can completely relate. :lol: If it's not too much trouble? :)

Edit:
So here's Shiro with that white added, and some framework I threw together
As opposed to pre-white with no frame (current URL on the site)

Is that too much? Does it need to be, like, a small black line for the frame? Or is the idea of personalizing them ok? Just want to be sure you're ok with it since seeing it can often be different. ^^;;;;

Vineda
Posting Goddess
Posting Goddess

Post by Vineda »

I’m guilty of being head over heels for the lovelies with no white background or border so my imagination can take off and picture them running right off the page ^^

Tigress
Mod
Mod

Post by Tigress »

I totally understand the desire to transparent-ify them because it feels more "real" to see them just sitting on top of the page like you could pluck them off. I admit I did a transparency test a few years back and was bummed when it was a resounding "nope, way too many stray pixels in there" :lol: . It was an idea I planned to pitch at Foxx if I could find a way, but all that lovely fade-y detailing is far too fancy for something that simple! I find the borders make it almost feel like a portrait which is also realistic in its own way.

Ha! Because my background is so light, I never even noticed that the older ones were transparent! Now that I know, will my OCD overtake me and will I need to get their backgrounds filled in? Time will tell :P

Foxxfyre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Foxxfyre »

I actually also was reluctant to stop doing transparency with them for the same reasons, but I switched to the white background because of coloring technique/transparency reasons (I didn't want to put a thick black border around everything ^^;) and also because a few people were doing things like putting the image on a background that was chosen to compliment the first Serian on the page, so for this example (completely made up) we'll just say it was a bright pink Serian, and the background would be dark purple to make it pop. But then if the second Serian they Bonded was also put on the page and it was, say, almost entirely black, then it just looked really really bad with the thick black line almost unseeable on the dark purple bkg :\ So the white bkg is kind of the lesser of all evils in that regard as well ^^

As for the "don't mess with the image" rule, it pretty much means "pretend you're just linking the image straight from my website, with no editing at all". So other than that, it's up to you what border you put around it, it can definitely be personalized to your heart's desire ^^ The heart border for Shiro is fine :D

I'm not sure what editor you're using, but you should be able to add a frame by putting the image in a square with padding that is the thickness of the border and then making the frame the background of the square so that it seems like the frame is part of the image when it isn't :) If you need help, I am more than happy to test out the editor by making my own account and seeing if it can be done also ^^

The reason for that rule is so that the quality of the Serians, especially the latter ones, doesn't accidentally get downgraded if the user adds a border to the image itself. Going to get technical here, but there are a bunch of formats (.png, .gif, .jpg, .tif, .svg, .eps, etc) and some of them are lossy and some of them are lossless, but even if you save in a lossless file type like png, an image editor can sometimes (and frequently does) change the original in small ways which can make them look like they're a little bit blurrier, more pixelated, a slightly different color, or other things. It's the sort of thing that would be tough to constantly look for, since the changes can be small enough that a quick glance might show me what I expect to see rather than what actually is.
Sa souvreya niende misain ye... I am lost in my own mind.

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

Ok, I think I got that to make sense in my head. I'll try and fiddle with backgrounds for the box on the page later on, though I may end up prodding you for HTML assist (if the site doesn't have an option to replace colors with an image I still have the option to insert my own coding). Hopefully I can swing it myself, just need to make the frames in GIMP to fit the various sizes to use for the background of the insertion boxes. :out:

Edit: and yes, my OCD is already there, Tigs. ;) If I'm personalizing all these background frames I'd rather not have half of them randomly floating in there, lol.

Edit: I love Wix... have I mentioned I love Wix? In their oh so friendly editor I can simply stack images - I can make the frame separate and then plop the Serian on top of that, add both as individual images. No complicated figuring out of how to hand code an HTMLS content box with a background, no adding the frame to their actual raff and cross contaminating with my image program, no tiny little pixels that you can't even see out of place - just a whole separate framing image tucked beneath so it's not quite so flatly stark and there's that sense of uniformity as the transparent older ones float above a completely separate bit of white.

I love you, Wix. You make my life so much less complicated.