Website Hosts

Any non-Serian (visitor) is welcome here! Mainly for the Serians' Bonded to get together and chat about random topics, but there really are no rules besides being courteous ^_^

Moderator: Tigress

Tigress
Mod
Mod

Website Hosts

Post by Tigress »

Hi guys! Just going to leave this little note here for current adopters and anyone new/returning, to hopefully prevent the number of future abandons from pages going poof.

Hosts with known issues:
Webs
Best for: active adopters
Issues: Webs will take your site down if you do not log in to your site regularly. All that needs to be done to bring the site back up is to log in, but for those that have moved on in life and just want to keep their collection up somewhere- this might lead to the loss of said collection a few months/years down the road :(.

Wix
Best for: temporary use/those currently using wix.
Issues: Flash is being phased out in the next two years, so it is not advised to continue to use flash sites. Support and functionality can't be guaranteed past 2020 and performance is already iffy (the current flash sites all load very unreliably for me on my high spec gaming laptop), so we encourage those currently using flash sites to look into somewhere to move to in the next year or so. In the meantime, we will allow functioning flash sites to give those people time to make the transition.

Hosts that are generally all-around reliable:
Angelfire
Tripod
Wordpress
Personal sites

Please let me know of any other hosts you've had good experiences with- especially those that are low maintenance and have been around for a long time. Also please let me know of any other hosts that may have issues that people should be aware of before setting up their sites!

Vineda
Posting Goddess
Posting Goddess

Re: Website Hosts

Post by Vineda »

Thanks Tigs! Very helpful, and much appreciated!

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

I'm pretty sure Wix has non-flash options, too. I plan on transitioning templates once I finally get a weekend again - I've had 1 day off since Jan 3rd, so I haven't quite gotten to it yet.

Vineda
Posting Goddess
Posting Goddess

Post by Vineda »

I use Wix as well, hoping there’ll be an option i can stick with...

Tigress
Mod
Mod

Post by Tigress »

Oooh does Wix allow you to switch between modes? Webs *used to* allow you to do that but now if you update to the modern drag-and-drop style you can't revert to the HTML editor so I'm always very, very careful not to accidentally click the upgrade button :stress:

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

I'll be able to verify for sure sometime on Monday night/Tuesday morning. ^.^ Didn't know that about Web's, though - I haven't messed about with it in a long time. In fact, I'll have to update all the Circle Pages I built as well, come to that! All but Bleeding Hearts are also hosted on Wix with the same flash template as my main site.