Website Hosts

Any non-Serian (visitor) is welcome here! Mainly for the Serians' Bonded to get together and chat about random topics, but there really are no rules besides being courteous ^_^

Moderator: Tigress

Aria
Leader
Leader

Re: Website Hosts

Post by Aria »

I used Webs in the past and it was much more customizable as far as colors goes. I switched to Wordpress when I came back because I like the more modern looks, themes, and mobile responsiveness. However, finding a theme with darker colors is a little trickier, and unless you pay for a plan you can't change the colors to anything you want (only choose from the 6 color schemes they come with).

For those looking to move or try a new host, I recommend giving Wordpress a try! Just stick with their free themes. However, if the current sites like Wix and Webs are adaptable and there's really no need to switch, I'd say stay. =)

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

Wix is salvagable, though it takes some fiddling. https://support.wix.com/en/article/conv ... sh-to-html

It does import a lot of things, and it lets you get access to an editor again - and thus your files. I miss a couple features my flash site had (the scrolling paragraphs, especially), but I'm sure with some work I can like it more than ever. :) I'm massively late for bed, though, and haven't accomplished anything other than mucking about with my intro page for the Circles...

I'll update all the links later on, as I finish everything. ^.^' Sleeeeeeep.... <-<

Tigress
Mod
Mod

Post by Tigress »

That's awesome Songhue! I'm sure many other Wix users will be relieved to hear that switching from flash to html is actually a supported function and as such, hopefully not as daunting a task :(.

I know flash has a lot of nice, easy effects but you'd be surprised to find what you can do with html if you're savvy :). The scrolling paragraphs I know for sure aren't very hard to do with html!

Foxxfyre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Foxxfyre »

Aaaand, if you need any help at all, my job is to be good at CSS and the like, so I can probably convert a flash site to an HTML template if you get frustrated trying to do it on your own ^^

Or if you're feeling particularly proactive, the codeschool.com tutorials are pretty fun and teach a lot :D
Sa souvreya niende misain ye... I am lost in my own mind.

Vineda
Posting Goddess
Posting Goddess

Post by Vineda »

I debated a bit earlier, turning to one of the other sites or trying to understand nonsense. Except i’m normally good at nonsense. Native language, and all. So maybe i’m not good at sense?

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

Luckily (for me, at least) there's no need to understand anything about coding with the transition. It gives you almost the same editor - drag and drop features - you're just using an HTML interface to insert the text, ect. ^_^ Not everything switches over perfectly all the time, so that's what needs fiddled with, but I completely finished the Circle Pages before bed this morning and got everything for the main pages translated over before work - just need fiddling, now.

That was why I hated angelfire (or was that tripod? It was years ago, I tried out so many...); for what I found while trying it, the HTML build for the pages required actual coding. I can barely get a header and background color - forget about anything actually looking nice. Couldn't figure out how to get to a friendly drag and drop insertion, so I ran away. XD