A Moment in Thyme

Take your Serians here to chat or just roam their homeland.
The sun glitters above vast fields ringed by verdant forests to the north, mountains to the south and east, and wide rivers to the west.

Moderator: Tigress

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Re: A Moment in Thyme

Post by Songhue »

He thought he might burst with joy, a happiness so fierce that it almost hurt. This had to be why there were some who would cry with joy; he almost could. Or scream or jump or some other form of explosion.

He shook from it instead, letting the severity of the emotion rip through him as he looked at her, not at all certain of what she might see in his face. Surprise, ecstasy, a certain moisture in his eyes, the fierceness of his pride in calling her his own, this gentle mare he didn't need to shape himself around? Adaptable was a beneficial thing, yes, but it was so easy to feel as if he lost himself to others. With her, he could simply... Be.

If you are sure, if you aren't torn and it causes you no harm, he said in a near-whisper, my brothers will celebrate your joining with all the joy of the Wild Hunt itself. If it did cause any harm to her, however, they would likely give him a particular talking to, make certain he had done nothing to press the issue.

And I would hang my last breath on being yours, my love.

This was certainly the reason people cried in joy.

Talia
Elder
Elder

Post by Talia »

So many emotions crossed his face, and all of them tugged at her heartstrings in ways she had never thought possible. She could feel the emotion well in her as much as it seemed to be in him, so much so that she surprised herself by laughing in both nervousness and giddy delight.

Words cannot express how happy joining your circle would make me, she replied, her own eyes shining with unshed tears. There's a certain sense of... loneliness that comes with being a part of a circle that no longer feels like home. There's a longing, so great that it feels as if it could shatter your soul. You want the bonds that you once had, but that cannot be forced. You're forced to lead very separate lives from those that you once considered closer than family. Watching the divide widen between all of us made me fear for myself. It made me cautious of others, of circles in general. But everything you offer seems so natural, and so right. And then there's you.

She pushed a tendril of hair from his face with the gentlest brush of her nose, reveling in its softness, its depth of color. She had spent time around him before, but everything felt so new, and she just couldn't stop wanting to touch him.

I'm as certain of this as I am in my love for you Thyme, she said softly, her expression sincere and adoring. There was a certain twinkle in her eye when she spoke next, a bit of impishness creeping across her features that one rarely saw. What shall we do to commemorate this moment? Do you have any new adventures in mind? I do not want to waste the day with you, now that you're here, and these moments are so precious. I know that they will be more frequent, and time with you is never wasted, but I can't help but want to see things and experience everything with you.

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

Exultation didn't touch what he felt, and for a brief moment Thyme found himself wondering if his face could actually fall off from smiling. Torn she may have been before, but there was no question that the ties she wished to shake off couldn't compare to a strong and healthy circle.

He'd not planned to adventure, but at the moment he couldn't think of a better idea at all. There had to be some outlet, or else he would truly burst.

There's something special I'd like to show you, he told her, and his voice was rich and gentle, soaked with the warmth of emotion. This way, my Sprite.

Commemorate the moment; well, he knew how to do that, just fine.

A tree, invisible amid all the other trees around it, huge and half-dead, dried rot peeking through a massive hole at the base of the trunk, appeared before his leading steps. There were beetles, worms, bits of mushroom and moss, an entire ecosystem hidden within the cracks of this tree - cracks he stepped between as a doorway, passing through the ancient tree and into a hidden cavern.

He'd found this place by accident while examining the tree - the forest in all its forms fascinated him to no end - and it still took his breath away as he emerged into the place he wanted to share with her.

A cavern, yes, but an open roof with tree branches that sheltered with dappled shade, softening the glare of sunlight at the height of day. A crystal clear pool sat in the center, rainwater that had filtered through the autumn leaves, and a few of the russet and flaming gold leaves in question swirled lazily on the water's surface. Glowing moss covered the walls, and the air was filled with the gentle rustle of wind overhead. Jewel-looking, delicately tiny fish flickered in the water, so clear that the water itself was entirely invisible; the leaves, the fish, seemed to be floating. Small, glowing insects buzzed quietly, some variant of a firefly, and every so often the tiny jewel fishes would leap up and snatch one out of the air. The hint of a ripple upon landing was the only indication of the crystalline water, gone in an instant.

This was his idea of exploring; he could think of no better way to commemorate their joining than in the sharing of this secret adventure. For on the far side, almost hidden by a hanging wall of moss and glow worms, was another entrance, a doorway he'd not yet gone through. It simply felt right to take those first steps with her beside him.

Talia
Elder
Elder

Post by Talia »

Her ears perked up in excitement, and she danced in place with evident joy. Absolutely nothing could compare to this day, or the degree of utter adoration she felt for the stallion beside her.

I'd gladly follow you anywhere, my love, she replied with another radiant smile.

She hadn't even noticed the tree amidst the others. She was usually so observant, especially when it came to the forest and its inhabitants or vegetation, but somehow this one had escaped her notice. As he stepped between the cracks, she followed after him with obvious anticipation. She let her nose touch the moss in passing, as if paying some silent homage to the tree.

As she stepped through, she felt her breath leave her in a startled cry. She was left speechless with the beauty of the cavern; the gentle play of light, coupled with the softly glowing moss, made the place seem almost ethereal. She trotted forward to touch her nose to the surface of the water, disrupting the near-perfect stillness of the water with a few tentative ripples. She giggled as a fish tried to nibble gently at her, and pulled back to regard Thyme with something akin to awe.

I feel as if I'm in the middle of a dream, she said quietly with a sigh. A new circle, a new mate, and now I'm surrounded by all of this beauty...

She paused and glanced at the door in the distance, having just noticed it now.

What's in there? she asked with obvious curiousity, not realizing that this would be the first time he would be stepping foot past this room as well.

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

If this is a dream, I fear I may die upon waking, he told her, and gave a soft touch to her cheek, tender and caring. I can't lose you now, not even to reality, he thought, and watched her giggle at the fish with a smile that should have glowed, it was so filled with his love and fondness of her.

Shall we find out? he asked her, and nuzzled into her mane as he tried to lead her around the crystalline pool. I had thought to share this with you, when I last found it. I know you love the woodlands as much as I do; it just seemed right to discover the secrets together. If you'd like to, my sweet Sprite? One special secret together, to mark these new bindings.

He hoped she would be willing; she had asked, after all, so there was a decent chance she would boldly step into the unknown beside him. But he wouldn't push it if she chose not to, wouldn't be hurt if his idea was less than welcome, for if she had another notion he would gladly hear of it.

He would gladly do any number of things, for the sake of this gentle mare.

Talia
Elder
Elder

Post by Talia »

She shivered again into his touch, marveling again at how wonderful it felt just to have him near, to be able to cuddle up next to him. She felt like it had been forever since they had seen each other last, and now she was comforted knowing that she would never have to worry about belonging anymore, or about being his. She could simply be.

She leaned into his gentle nuzzle and turned towards him to offer one of her own in return. How did I ever get so lucky? she mused aloud. You are more than I deserve, dear Thyme. You think of me even when I least expect it. I think of you always, but you're more giving, more thoughtful, than one Serian could ever deserve. Of course I'd love to share this with you. I could think of no one more deserving.

She followed his gentle lead around the edge of the pool. As long as he was by her side, she could accomplish almost anything. Without him, she surely would have been trembling with anxiety, but his presence was soothing. He was her courage, he who understood her better than most.

She stepped close to the doorway and brushed aside the moss lightly, careful not to disrupt its hold on the framework of the doorway. Beyond the entrance it was dark, with none of the gentle light from the canopy and the reflections of the pool. But there was still a faint welcoming glow that made her take a few tentative steps forward alone into the depths.

The path past the doorway wound downward, and the walls were covered with roots and bio luminescent creatures. The roots traced intricate paths across the ceiling and walls, and even though the light didn't touch the tunnel, she felt reassured by the presence of the forest around her. The enveloping roots and vines weren't confining. They were familiar. The insects pulsed with a cool light that seemed to make the hallway almost glitter faintly. Sprite turned to face Thyme, her features lit by the glimmer from within.

Stand by my side? she asked, her voice soft. I want to experience this with you, every step of the way.